|By Business Wire||
|February 5, 2014 04:50 PM EST||
Sierra Wireless, Inc. (NASDAQ:SWIR) (TSX:SW):
Q4 highlights from continuing operations
- Record revenue of $118.6 million, up 5.7% compared to Q3, 2013
- Adjusted EBITDA of $6.2 million, compared to $5.9 million in Q3, 2013
- Non-GAAP earnings from operations of $2.6 million, compared to $2.4 million in Q3, 2013
Full year highlights from continuing operations
- Record revenue of $441.9 million, up 11.2% year-over-year
- Adjusted EBITDA of $18.7 million, up 47.9% year-over-year
- Non-GAAP earnings from operations of $5.0 million, compared to $0.9 million in 2012
Sierra Wireless, Inc. (NASDAQ:SWIR) (TSX:SW) today reported results for its fourth quarter and full year, ending December 31, 2013. All results are reported in U.S. dollars and are prepared in accordance with United States generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), except as otherwise indicated below.
“We achieved record revenue in the fourth quarter, closing out a year in which we delivered solid operational results, sold our AirCard business, and began putting the proceeds to work on acquisitions that extend our leadership position in M2M,” said Jason Cohenour, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We are exceptionally well positioned to capture the long-term M2M growth opportunity, and we are focused on continuing to drive profitable organic revenue growth, while we pursue additional acquisitions.”
As a result of the sale of the AirCard business, as well as our recent acquisition of the AnyDATA M2M business and our contemplated acquisition of In Motion Technology, our segments have changed from those reported at December 31, 2012. We are now reporting two segments, OEM Solutions and Enterprise Solutions, and all prior periods have been retrospectively adjusted to reflect the two segments.
Revenue for the fourth quarter of 2013 was $118.6 million, an increase of 8.4% compared to $109.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2012, and an increase of 5.7% compared to $112.3 million in the third quarter of 2013. Revenue from OEM Solutions was $101.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2013, up 7.4% compared to $94.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2012. Revenue from Enterprise Solutions was $16.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2013, up 15.3% compared to $14.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Gross margin was $38.4 million, or 32.4% of revenue, in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to $36.2 million, or 33.1% of revenue, in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Operating expenses were $42.0 million and loss from operations was $3.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to operating expenses of $37.7 million and a loss from operations of $1.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Net loss from continuing operations was $1.9 million, or $0.06 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to net earnings from continuing operations of $15.5 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2012. Net earnings in Q4, 2012 included an income tax recovery that was the result of the recognition of certain tax assets that were realizable as a result of the sale of the AirCard business.
- Net loss for continuing and discontinued operations(1) was $0.9 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to net earnings of $19.6 million, or $0.64 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Gross margin was 32.5% in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to 33.2% in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Operating expenses were $36.0 million and earnings from operations were $2.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to operating expenses of $32.6 million and earnings from operations of $3.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("Adjusted EBITDA") were $6.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to $7.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Net earnings from continuing operations were $3.1 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to $4.5 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2012.
Full Year 2013
Revenue for the year ended December 31, 2013 was $441.9 million, up 11.2% compared to $397.3 million for the year ended December 31, 2012. Revenue from OEM Solutions was $382.0 million for the year ended December 31, 2013, up 10.2% compared to $346.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2012. Revenue from Enterprise Solutions was $59.9 million for the year ended December 31, 2013, up 17.8% compared to $50.8 million for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Gross margin was $145.6 million, or 33.0% of revenue, for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to $125.3 million, or 31.5% of revenue, for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Operating expenses were $163.3 million and loss from operations was $17.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to operating expenses of $147.5 million and a loss from operations of $22.2 million for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Net loss from continuing operations was $15.6 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to a net loss of $4.2 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2012. Net earnings in 2012 included an income tax recovery that was the result of the recognition of certain tax assets that were realizable as a result of the sale of the AirCard business.
- Net earnings from continuing and discontinued operations(1) was $55.0 million, or $1.79 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to net earnings of $27.2 million, or $0.88 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Gross margin was 33.1% for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to 31.6% for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Operating expenses were $141.0 million and earnings from operations were $5.0 million for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to operating expenses of $124.7 million and earnings from operations of $0.9 million for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $18.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to $12.6 million for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- Net earnings from continuing operations were $6.9 million, or $0.23 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2013, compared to a net loss of $0.4 million, or $0.01 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2012.
Non-GAAP results exclude the impact of stock-based compensation expense, acquisition costs, gain on sale of the AirCard business, restructuring costs, integration costs, disposition costs, acquisition amortization, impairment, foreign exchange gains or losses on foreign currency contracts and translation of balance sheet accounts, and certain tax adjustments. We disclose non-GAAP amounts as we believe that these measures provide our shareholders with better information about actual operating results and assist in comparisons from one period to another.
Adjusted EBITDA as defined equates to earnings (loss) from operations plus stock-based compensation expense, acquisition costs, restructuring costs, integration costs, impairment, and amortization. The reconciliation between our GAAP and non-GAAP results is provided in the accompanying schedules.
(1) On April 2, 2013, we completed the sale of substantially all of the assets and operations related to our AirCard business. The results of operations and the gain on sale of the AirCard business have been presented as discontinued operations for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2013 and December 31, 2012.
The Company provides the following guidance for continuing operations for the first quarter of 2014.
In the first quarter of 2014 we expect solid year-over-year revenue and earnings growth. We expect gross margin to decrease slightly from Q4, 2013 due to a shift in product mix and we expect operating expenses to increase as a result of higher new product certification costs, investment in sales and marketing capabilities, and a full quarter of expenses related to the AnyDATA acquired business.
|Q1 2014 Guidance||
|Revenue||$117.0 to $121.0 million|
|Earnings from operations||$0.5 to $1.5 million|
|Net earnings||$0.4 to $1.2 million|
|Earnings per share||$0.01 to $0.04 per share|
This non-GAAP guidance for the first quarter of 2014 reflects current business indicators and expectations. Inherent in this guidance are risk factors that are described in greater detail in our regulatory filings. Our actual results could differ materially from those presented above. All figures are approximations based on management's current beliefs and assumptions.
Conference call, webcast and instant replay details
Sierra Wireless President and CEO, Jason Cohenour, and CFO, David McLennan, will host a conference call and webcast with analysts and investors to review the results on Wednesday, February 5, 2014, at 5:30 PM Eastern Time (2:30 PM PT). A live slide presentation will be available for viewing during the call from the link provided below.
To participate in this conference call, please dial the following number approximately ten minutes prior to the commencement of the call:
- Toll-free (Canada and US): 1-877-201-0168
- Alternate number: 1-647-788-4901
- Conference ID: 18174338
For those unable to participate in the live call, a replay will be available until March 5, 2014. Dial 1-855-859-2056 or 1-800-585-8367 and enter the Conference ID number above to access the replay.
To access the webcast, please follow the link below:
If the above link does not work, please copy and paste the following URL into your browser:
The webcast will remain available at the above link for one year following the call.
We look forward to having you participate in our call.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements and information in this press release are not based on historical facts and constitute forward-looking statements or forward-looking information within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and Canadian securities laws (“forward-looking statements”) including statements and information relating to our financial guidance for the first quarter of 2014 and our fiscal year 2014, our business outlook for the short and longer term and our strategy, plans and future operating performance. Forward-looking statements are provided to help you understand our views of our short and longer term prospects. We caution you that forward-looking statements may not be appropriate for other purposes. We will not update or revise our forward-looking statements unless we are required to do so by securities laws.
- Typically include words and phrases about the future such as “outlook”, “may”, “estimates”, “intends”, “believes”, “plans”, “anticipates” and “expects”.
- Are not promises or guarantees of future performance. They represent our current views and may change significantly.
- Are based on a number of material assumptions, including those listed below, which could prove to be significantly incorrect:
- Our ability to develop, manufacture and sell new products and services that meet the needs of our customers and gain commercial acceptance;
- Our ability to continue to sell our products and services in the expected quantities at the expected prices and expected times;
- Expected cost of goods sold;
- Expected component supply constraints;
- Our ability to “win” new business;
- Expected deployment of next generation networks by wireless network operators;
- Our operations are not adversely disrupted by component shortages or other development, operating or regulatory risks; and
- Expected tax rates and foreign exchange rates.
- Are subject to substantial known and unknown material risks and uncertainties. Many factors could cause our actual results, achievements and developments in our business to differ significantly from those expressed or implied by our forward-looking statements, including without limitation, the following factors. These risk factors and others are discussed in our Annual Information Form and Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations, which may be found on SEDAR at www.sedar.com and on EDGAR at www.sec.gov and in our other regulatory filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the United States and the Provincial Securities Commissions in Canada.
- Actual sales volumes or prices for our products and services may be lower than we expect for any reason including, without limitation, continuing uncertain economic conditions, price and product competition, different product mix, the loss of any of our significant customers, or competition from new or established wireless communication companies;
- The cost of products sold may be higher than planned or necessary component supplies may not be available, are delayed or are not available on commercially reasonable terms;
- We may be unable to enforce our intellectual property rights or may be subject to litigation that has an adverse outcome;
- The development and timing of the introduction of our new products may be later than we expect or may be indefinitely delayed;
- Transition periods associated with the migration to new technologies may be longer than we expect; and
- We may experience higher than anticipated costs; disruption of, and demands on, our ongoing business; diversion of management's time and attention; adverse effects on existing business relationships with suppliers and customers and employee issues in connection with the divestiture of the AirCard assets and operations.
About Sierra Wireless
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is the global leader in machine-to-machine (M2M) devices and cloud services, delivering intelligent wireless solutions that simplify the connected world. We offer the industry's most comprehensive portfolio of 2G, 3G and 4G embedded modules and gateways, seamlessly integrated with our secure M2M cloud services. Customers worldwide, including OEMs, enterprises, and mobile network operators, trust our innovative solutions to get their connected products and services to market faster. Sierra Wireless has more than 850 employees globally and has R&D centers in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information about Sierra Wireless, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
"AirPrime," "AirLink," and "AirVantage" are trademarks of Sierra Wireless. Other product or service names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
SIERRA WIRELESS, INC.
CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS AND COMPREHENSIVE INCOME (LOSS)
(In thousands of U.S. dollars, except where otherwise stated)
Three months ended December 31,
|Twelve months ended December 31,|
|Cost of goods sold||80,165||73,172||296,219||272,047|
|Sales and marketing||10,693||10,176||42,182||37,067|
|Research and development||19,074||16,294||73,112||61,785|
|Loss from operations||(3,547)||(1,516)||(17,664)||(22,206)|
|Foreign exchange gain||1,921||1,608||3,823||3,326|
|Other income (expense)||26||35||(98)||(196)|
|Earnings (loss) before income taxes||(1,600)||127||(13,939)||(19,076)|
|Income tax expense (recovery)||345||(15,369)||1,611||(14,874)|
|Net earnings (loss) from continuing operations||(1,945)||15,523||(15,550)||(4,202)|
|Net earnings from discontinued operations||1,078||4,083||70,588||31,401|
Net earnings (loss)
|Other comprehensive income (loss):|
|Foreign currency translation adjustments, net of taxes of $nil||179||676||604||538|
|Comprehensive income (loss)||$||(688)||$||20,282||$||55,642||$||27,737|
|Basic and diluted net earnings (loss) per share attributable to the Company’s common shareholders (in dollars)|
|Weighted average number of shares outstanding (in thousands)|
SIERRA WIRELESS, INC.
CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
(In thousands of U.S. dollars)
|December 31, 2013||December 31, 2012|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||177,416||$||63,646|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowance for doubtful accounts of $2,279 (December 31, 2012 - $2,435)||112,490||108,624|
|Deferred income taxes||2,391||22,199|
|Prepaids and other||28,741||24,252|
|Assets held for sale||—||54,340|
|Property and equipment||21,982||20,039|
|Deferred income taxes||7,176||3,880|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||$||124,846||$||128,216|
|Deferred revenue and credits||2,481||1,312|
|Liabilities held for sale||—||10,353|
|Deferred income taxes||127||300|
Common stock: no par value; unlimited shares authorized; issued
and outstanding 31,097,844 shares
Preferred stock: no par value; unlimited shares authorized; issued and outstanding: nil shares
|Treasury stock: at cost 507,147 shares (December 31, 2012 – 716,313 shares)||(5,137)||(5,172)|
|Additional paid-in capital||25,996||23,203|
|Retained earnings (deficit)||19,367||(35,283)|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(6,858)||(7,462)|
SIERRA WIRELESS, INC.
CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS
(In thousands of U.S. dollars)
|Three months ended December 31,||Twelve months ended December 31,|
|Cash flows provided by (used in):|
|Items not requiring (providing) cash|
|Gain on sale of AirCard business||—||—||(94,078)||—|
|Deferred income taxes||(855)||(9,701)||16,339||(13,606)|
|Loss (gain) on disposal of property, equipment, and intangibles||—||(76)||(10)||107|
|Impairment of assets related to discontinued operations||—||—||1,012||—|
|Tax benefit from equity awards||1,458||71||1,458||71|
|Taxes paid related to net settlement of equity awards||(66)||—||(408)||(4)|
|Changes in non-cash working capital|
|Prepaid expenses and other||4,616||6,014||(7,254)||(14,543)|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||1,940||(26,540)||(13,139)||10,997|
|Deferred revenue and credits||662||(277)||1,147||(422)|
|Cash flows provided by (used in) operating activities||(3,738)||9,283||17,866||38,053|
|Purchase of M2M business of Sagemcom||—||—||—||(55,218)|
|Purchase of M2M business of AnyDATA||(5,196)||—||(5,196)||—|
|Additions to property and equipment||(1,649)||(3,995)||(11,359)||(15,845)|
|Proceeds from sale of property, equipment, and intangibles||—||83||32||139|
|Increase in intangible assets||(542)||(673)||(2,211)||(2,607)|
|Net proceeds from sale of AirCard business||—||—||119,958||—|
|Net change in short-term investments||2,751||—||(2,470)||9,347|
|Cash flows provided by (used in) investing activities||(4,636)||(4,585)||98,754||(64,184)|
|Issuance of common shares||3,159||9||8,106||436|
|Repurchase of common shares for cancellation||—||—||(5,772)||(6,312)|
|Purchase of treasury shares for RSU distribution||—||—||(3,433)||(2,489)|
|Decrease in other long-term obligations||(49)||(169)||(876)||(1,000)|
Cash flows provided by (used in) financing activities
|Effect of foreign exchange rate changes on cash and cash equivalents||(540)||(420)||(875)||(2,233)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, increase (decrease) in the period||(5,804)||4,118||113,770||(37,729)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, beginning of period||183,220||59,528||63,646||101,375|
|Cash and cash equivalents, end of period||$||177,416||$||63,646||$||177,416||$||63,646|
SIERRA WIRELESS, INC.
RECONCILIATION OF GAAP AND NON-GAAP RESULTS
|(in thousands of U.S. dollars, except where otherwise stated)|
|Gross margin - GAAP||$||38,443||$||37,346||$||36,474||$||33,378||$||36,233||$||31,086||$||30,081||$||27,874|
|Gross margin - Non-GAAP||$||38,562||$||37,463||$||36,569||$||33,453||$||36,294||$||31,168||$||30,159||$||27,957|
|Loss from operations - GAAP||$||(3,547)||$||(3,301)||$||(3,932)||$||(6,884)||$||(1,516)||$||(6,728)||$||(6,558)||$||(7,404)|
|Impairment of intangible asset||—||—||—||280||—||—||—||—|
|Acquisition related amortization||3,580||3,405||3,363||3,393||3,338||2,906||2,665||2,981|
|Earnings (loss) from operations - Non-GAAP||$||2,593||$||2,402||$||1,470||$||(1,412)||$||3,721||$||334||$||(360)||$||(2,797)|
|Amortization (excluding acquisition related amortization)||3,566||3,468||3,403||3,212||3,293||2,904||2,717||2,833|
|Net earnings (loss) from continuing operations - GAAP||$||(1,945)||$||1,075||$||(6,742)||$||(7,938)||$||15,523||$||(3,612)||$||(8,868)||$||(7,245)|
|Stock-based compensation, restructuring and other, integration, and acquisition related amortization, net of tax||6,112||5,760||5,393||5,355||5,162||6,885||5,658||4,536|
|Unrealized foreign exchange loss (gain)||(1,970)||(2,457)||(1,359)||1,874||(1,655)||(1,218)||(165)||(101)|
|Income tax adjustments||925||(895)||3,754||—||(14,540)||(804)||—||—|
|Net earnings (loss) from continuing operations - Non-GAAP||$||3,122||$||3,483||$||1,046||$||(709)||$||4,490||$||1,251||$||(3,375)||$||(2,810)|
|Net earnings (loss) from discontinued operations - GAAP||$||1,078||$||(505)||$||68,152||$||1,863||$||4,083||$||7,279||$||12,449||$||7,590|
|Stock-based compensation and disposition costs||3||1,402||876||1,733||1,696||233||233||233|
|Gain on sale of AirCard business||(1,056)||(49)||(69,077)||—||—||—||—||—|
|Net earnings (loss) from discontinued operations - Non-GAAP||$||25||$||848||$||(49)||$||3,596||$||5,779||$||7,512||$||12,682||$||7,823|
|Net earnings (loss) - GAAP||$||(867)||$||570||$||61,410||$||(6,075)||$||19,606||$||3,667||$||3,581||$||345|
|Net earnings (loss) - Non-GAAP||3,147||4,331||997||2,887||10,269||8,763||9,307||5,013|
|Diluted earnings (loss) from continuing operations per share|
|GAAP - (in dollars)||$||(0.06)||$||0.03||$||(0.22)||$||(0.26)||$||0.50||$||(0.12)||$||(0.29)||$||(0.23)|
|Non-GAAP - (in dollars)||$||0.10||$||0.11||$||0.03||$||(0.02)||$||0.15||$||0.04||$||(0.11)||$||(0.09)|
|Net earnings (loss) per share - diluted|
|GAAP - (in dollars)||$||(0.03)||$||0.02||$||2.00||$||(0.20)||$||0.64||$||0.12||$||0.12||$||0.01|
|Non-GAAP - (in dollars)||$||0.10||$||0.14||$||0.03||$||0.09||$||0.33||$||0.29||$||0.30||$||0.16|
SIERRA WIRELESS, INC.
|(In thousands of U.S. dollars)|
|Cost of goods sold||266,867||72,336||66,395||65,514||62,622||246,284||66,024||63,172||58,844||58,244|
|Gross margin %||30.1||%||29.0||%||30.7||%||31.1||%||29.8||%||28.9||%||30.4||%||28.4||%||29.4||%||27.3||%|
|Cost of goods sold||29,352||7,829||8,521||7,601||5,401||25,763||7,148||5,925||6,473||6,217|
|Gross margin %||51.0||%||53.3||%||48.1||%||47.6||%||55.6||%||49.3||%||50.8||%||50.3||%||46.5||%||49.2||%|
(1) Comparative information has been reclassified to conform to current period presentation.
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 23, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,090
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,734
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 676
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Oct. 23, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,919
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 23, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,834
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 23, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,333
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,693
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,952
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,649
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 941
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 851
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 23, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 656
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 23, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 10,963
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,661
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,050
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 895
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 23, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,002
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,551
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 23, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,454
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 23, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 461